Sunday, May 2, 2010

Walton's Mountain



My sister Shannon and I left Friday night to take a road trip through the night (one of my favorite things)... headed to Lynchburg, VA to visit our best (and only) brother, Sam. We were on route 29, about an hour outside of Lynchburg very early in the morning on Saturday, when I spotted a road sign--"Walton's Mountain Museum, 8 miles to the left." There's one thing that few people outside of my family know about me-- I LOVE the show, The Waltons. OK, I guess it's not a secret anymore. Little did I know that by going to visit my brother in VA, I would be right in the middle of the stomping grounds of John-Boy Walton! I was ecstatic. My brother and sister were SO kind, and today, they agreed to go with me to visit the "Walton's Mountain Museum." After driving on a LONG dirt road, we arrived at the site that inspired the show "The Waltons."

It was actually quite hilarious. The "Walton's Mountain Museum" is actually a former middle school run by 2 old ladies, with about 4 of the classrooms turned into "rooms" from the original Walton house. It wasn't EXACTLY what we had in mind, but it was lots of fun. We walked down the road a little bit and found an old church, the original house where the author of the Waltons grew up, and an old country store.

So... now we know WAY more about the Waltons than we ever knew before... WAY more than Sam or Shannon cared to know, I'm sure (they didn't seem to share my level of excitement)! But we had some great laughs... and I'm sure this is an adventure that we will not forget for a LONG time.

1 comment:

  1. HA HA HA!!! I would drive past that every time I'd visit my parents from Cedarville or Philly! If I had only known you were such a fan!!

    ReplyDelete