Friday, May 28, 2010

Mt. Holly is a cool place

Besides having a really neat old cemetery, I discovered tonight that the "mount" of Mt. Holly is hike-able!! I found a trail last week that I decided to try tonight, and before I knew it, I found myself--seriously--walking on a dirt path in the woods up a small hill, pretty much in my own neighborhood. If I closed my eyes, I could have imagined that I was in Maine... or even in the Alps! ...except that within about 2 1/2 minutes, I had already reached the "top"... =)

Cool thing though... I got up to the "top" and found this strange looking structure. At first, I couldn't figure out what it was, but upon a closer look, I realized that it was an old altar with the words "holy, holy, holy" inscribed on the front. Seriously. An altar at the top of Mt. Holly. I have no idea why anyone would build an altar up there, but I am so curious! I felt like I had reached some holy place or something. Of course, I was looking for symbolism somewhere and found myself remembering...

"Therefore, I urge you brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and acceptable to God. This is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then, you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-- His good, pleasing, and perfect will." (Rom. 12:1-2)

I guess you never know where you'll run into truth... even if it comes in the form of a strange old altar...

4 comments:

  1. That is a cool story! I want to see a picture of the place. You can post pics right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is crazy!! Check this out... I just found out that all of my favorite places in Mt. Holly are HAUNTED! Pics are included.

    http://www.weirdnj.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=180&Itemid=28

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now THAT certainly puts a different twist on the altar. Do you think these stories are true??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know! I don't think I believe in the New Jersey Devil... although I am intrigued. =) I'm tempted to go back to that altar, knock on it and see if he knocks back!... and look for the remains of the old gallows and the old shed. But it all kind of freaks me out too... ;/

    ReplyDelete