Friday, July 1, 2011

my German neighbors

To celebrate the completion of the final day of the second week of class, our group got together tonight for a meal of Turkish kabaps and a movie.  I left the movie early and returned home to find Konrad, my downstairs German neighbor, outside tending his gardens.  Konrad is an avid gardener and every beautiful flower on the property is completely his doing.  I enjoy his handiwork every day, and I take every opportunity I can to tell him so.  As I was walking up the path tonight to return home, he gestured to me and turned to say something to his wife Helga... he then motioned that I should join them in their yard.  As I did so, he pointed to his barbeque and asked if I would like to join he and Helga for dinner.  I had already eaten one dinner, but I could not and would not turn down this invitation!

So tonight I sat at Konrad and Helga's front porch picnic table and enjoyed a second dinner of bratwurst, tomatoes, and wine (they pronounce it "veen"... always cracks me up!).  It was both a precious and hilarious experience... as I sat there contemplating how I could force 7 sausages into my already full stomach (yes, they gave me 7 sausages!), and how I would manage to drink the glasses of red wine that they kept refilling for me!  Oh my, I can't usually drink more than 1 glass of wine in a sitting... but what can you do when you don't even know how to politely refuse in a language you don't understand?  It was hilarious.  Helga could tell that I enjoyed her tomatoes and kept telling me to eat alles... all of them--the whole plate!  I puffed out my cheeks, gestured that I was stuffed, and said danke schoen ("thank you").  They then invited me into their home and showed me all of their photos from their trips this past year to Italy and Switzerland.

It was beautiful.  I don't understand much German at all.  They know a bit more English than my German... but our conversation was still choppy at best.  But we're still God's creation, made in His image... and somehow as different as we are, we still get and enjoy each other.  I found myself sitting in Konrad and Helga's apartment, speaking in halting sentences, looking at all of their photos, and thanking Jesus for the opportunity to share this time with them.

I love my home and I love my friends and family... they are the nearest and dearest to my heart.  But tonight I have been struck by the fellowship available with people who don't know your language, your history, your heritage, your culture, or anything about your life.  They are just simple, hospitable, kind people who offer for me to share in their dinner of bratwurst, tomatoes, and veen... but yet I enjoy it and enjoy them so much.  The image of God is a beautiful thing.  It was one of those moments in which I wish I had my camera to capture it forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment