Thursday, December 11, 2014

I remember that night last week in the ER, knowing that we were going to lose our baby, and that I was probably going to go through surgery before the night was through.  I could barely stand or even move... I looked around at all those people in the waiting room who didn't know us and had no idea what we were going through.  I could feel that old mean tug on my heart... the Enemy who so wants to convince us, "God doesn't care about you."

So I closed my eyes, shut out the ER for a few moments, and plead with God, "Show up here, please, God. In this awful mess.  In my broken and terrified heart.  Show me that You are near, close.  Taking care of us."

And He has.  Over and over again.  I've been reminding myself as I walk through this terribly difficult week that I NEED to write these things down.  I MUST remember.  God is incredibly faithful, so close.  I NEED to remember this.

So I remember...

the familiar headlights of my parents' car pulling in the driveway at the hospital... knowing they were there for me.  my husband running out to meet them and my mom rushing in to hug me in the ER. my dad walking Ben to the hospital cafeteria to give him some food and encouragement.

the kind, compassionate eyes of the ER doctor as he first came into my room to talk to me.

the understanding young nurse who stopped to tell me, "this is not your fault.  please take care of yourself as you walk through this."

Ben, my husband, over and over again grabbing my hand, kissing my head, singing to me, praying with me, reminding me of funny things and making me laugh.

coming out of surgery... waking up and finding a kind nurse in my room whenever I needed her, bringing me ice cream, cereal, ginger ale - whatever I wanted.  reassuring and comforting me, almost like she never left my room all night.  I wonder if she was an angel...

the grandmotherly nurse who discharged me the next morning, who sat down next to me on my bed and talked to me about my heart... how are you doing with this, she said.

the unexpected snow day... so Ben could drive me home and stay with me all day.

the kind little white dog that I borrowed from my parents while I am home healing... he doesn't leave my side and I love it.

text messages, phone calls, and prayers from friends that come at JUST the right time.

a husband who hugs and comforts me and REALLY helps me to believe that it is going to be ok.


Once again I’ll go over what God has done,
    lay out on the table the ancient wonders;
I’ll ponder all the things you’ve accomplished,
    and give a long, loving look at your acts.
 O God! Your way is holy!
    No god is great like God!
You’re the God who makes things happen;
    you showed everyone what you can do—
You pulled your people out of the worst kind of trouble,
    rescued the children of Jacob and Joseph.
                                                         ~Psalm 77

No comments:

Post a Comment