Monday, August 16, 2010

be near...

This morning, I found myself driving to work, repeating the same line out loud over and over again... "Thank you, Jesus for coffee." It was sort of subconscious... I didn't even realize what I was saying. But when I did realize, I had to smile.

Anyway, I stopped at one of my favorite Starbucks, got out of the car, and started walking up the sidewalk to go into the store. A strange thing started happening on my walk up that sidewalk... all of a sudden, small brown birds started LEAPING--literally, LEAPING--onto the sidewalk in front of me. I almost stepped on them! But they weren't afraid of my shoes or the prospect of being squashed by my shoes... they just kept jumping in front of me as I walked. That's when I realized that the grass was pretty much COVERED by these birds... but being that the grass is mostly brown these days, the birds blended in quite well. I'm not usually a fan of birds, but I have to admit that these little guys were kind of cute.

I've come out of a week that's been rather rough. I received a hole in my head at the hands of a plastic surgeon, and I still have the stitches to show for it. And I said good-bye to my mom and my dear sister, both within one week of each other. I wasn't prepared for how difficult that would be for me... or how hard I'd be hit by it.

Anyway, along with thanking God for coffee, I found myself praying this morning that He would just show up today as only He can... because honestly, I feel pretty desperate for Him. Enter the birds... practically jumping on my feet so that I can't miss them! Ha... I swear God has a sense of humor. And my thoughts drifted to Matthew 6. God seems to like to take me to those verses.

Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? ... For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your Heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Sometimes I just need to be reminded how aware He is of us... how well He knows our needs and our hurts and our desires. And I continue to ask Him... be near, O God. Be near.

No comments:

Post a Comment