Thursday, November 15, 2012

giving thanks

I dug through my extra-large purse the other day and found a tattered little book in the bottom that I had forgotten about.  It was a little notebook with one page of writing - back in September, I had dedicated that book as my "book of thanks."  I took a page and began listing the big and little things in my life that stand out to me as blessed reminders that God is here, with me, now. Life filled up and I forgot about that little book... until the other day when I found it again.

I only work part-time now but somehow, life has filled up again.  And in the full, I find myself running faster and my heart struggles to sit still and remember.  Oh how I forget.  But tonight - tonight, I dedicated as quiet time.  And I sit at the corner table at Starbucks and I remember.  Oh how I remember.  So here's what I wrote then and here's what I'm remembering now.  May I continue to add to it.  And blessed Jesus, may I remember You and worship.

i will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, i will remember your wonders of old. i will ponder all your work, and meditate on your mighty deeds. your way, o God, is holy. what god is great like our God? you are the God who works wonders; you have made known your might among the peoples. you with your arm redeemed your people.  ~Psalm 77

  1. a faithful pastor who preaches the Word openly and truthfully every Sunday.  I miss it when I'm not there.
  2. a kind, good-hearted boyfriend who wakes me up each morning with a text message and blessing on my day... and who chose to change churches so we could be together on Sundays... and who prays with me with an open heart.
  3. my curly hair - I really have come to love it! and the hair-cut place that cuts my bangs for free.
  4. my kind and loving nana who washes my clothes (when I do not ask her to!) and is mending my torn skirt.
  5. Henri Nouwen's words of kindness and truth.
  6. a new friend who sends me an e-mail of encouragement at just the right time.
  7. Saturdays! to get my life in order.
  8. my faithful old car - 138,000 miles strong!
  9. the unconditional invitation of Jesus that is not dependent upon me - "come to me and I will give you rest..." 
  10. my mom who calls me three days in a row to try to catch up with me because she loves me that much.
  11. when I haven't been a faithful Bible-reader and my soul misses it so much, that I open my Bible and it feels like an old friend.
  12. TWO days off in a row!!
  13. when I'm in a really bad mood and having a really bad day and Ben says, "let's decorate for Christmas early." And somehow in the lights and the music and the little tree and the nog and his bear hugs, I feel happy again.
  14. the grande peppermint mocha that the kind lady at Starbucks gave to me for free!
  15. that there really is no rule that says you have to wait until Thanksgiving to listen to Christmas music... because it sure has blessed my soul today!

No comments:

Post a Comment