Saturday, September 17, 2011

home

I've been reading the book of Revelation this summer... it's been slow-coming and I've sort of approached it with more incredulity than enthusiasm.  But I'm now approaching the end of the book, and I confess that I don't know much more than I did before I began. It's incredibly complex... but incredibly beautiful.  Today, I was reading about the "holy city," the "New Jerusalem" and I find myself absolutely transfixed...



...God will live with me, right in my neighborhood
...I will not cry or be sad or disappointed because God Himself will come to me and brush tears away from my eyes with His own fingers
...the old system of things will fade away and all things will be new!
...the pure radiance and beauty of Jesus will be seen and light up the entire city
....the walls will be constructed of ALL of the most beautiful, breathtaking colors that I could ever know
...I will not feel the need to go to church to meet Jesus or Starbucks to get away for quiet time... because God Himself will be right there with me always.
(Rev. 21)

The New Jerusalem speaks to all of the longings of my soul...  
A home that is mine where I never feel alone.  
A freedom to live and love without fear of being hurt.  
A fellowship that is forever with no need to say good-bye.  
A beauty that is always a part of the world and does not need to be sought to be found.
A God who walks with me and sits with me and speaks to me and grabs me and holds me in His arms and uses His own finger to wipe away my tears.  

It sounds too beautiful to be real... but that must be the beauty of eternity.  One day, it will be real... and it will be ours.  And we'll see and feel and experience everything that we ever longed for in all of its fullness.  I can't imagine it.  I so long for it.

This offers me such hope when I face suffering and disappointment in the present world... 
our outer nature is wasting away but our inner nature is being renewed day by day.  this slight momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen.

... so we do not lose heart. (2 Cor. 4)

Amen.  Come, Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment